This is one of my oldest projects, that has been kicking around the “To finish” list for years.
I’ve remade the bodice twice to its final incarnation hand sewn eyelets (through the buckram.. not such a good idea, had to use a leather needle) , no boning at all. The front is stiffened with 2 layers of light buckram I wonderunder/fused together to made a soft cardboard like paper, that was then attached to a layer of twill and finally muslin which was flatlined to the main fabric. I’m very small so it works pretty well for me, there is some buckling at my waist where I didn’t cut it high enough along the front but the apron covers most of it. The main fabric is a cotton something or other that I picked up when walmart still carried fabric for a $1 a yard, but reads and wears well. Under it I’m wearing my cotton smock with black embroidered edges, and a rust red cotton petticoat. The parlet and coif were made from scrap muslin and the lacing from gray embroidery thread. Wearing it out in 90 degree heat made it a bit warm but after 10 minutes I didn’t really notice the extra layers.