Based on a few different museum pieces I did a mock-up/prototype for a 16th-century pocket. These were worn under skirts, much like their 18th-century descendants. This is version 1, which I made a little roomier for our modern day needs. It will fit a phone, money and other often necessary items. It is all… Read More 16th Century Pocket Prototype
What my tools do while I’m sleeping 😉
I’ve had the petticoat bodies done for a few weeks now and completely forgot to post the finished photos here. Opps. In my defense I haven’t been able to get photos of me in them yet, part of me wants to go out and rent a chicken (can one rent a sweet-tempered chicken for photos?)… Read More Petticoat Bodies Done!
The holidays are over, I’ve eaten my own weight in cookies and it is time to finish up the petticoat bodies. Last time I posted I finished the bodice and put in the lining. Over the holidays I cut out the skirt, hand sewed it together, and bound the hem. My camera did not like… Read More Finishing up the Petticoat Bodies
I forgot to post these, I’ve slowly been sewing away on petticoat bodies from caramel colored wool. Linen/cotton canvas interlining, linen/cotton lining. Sewn with the broken backstitch, running stitch and whip stitch in linen thread. The project has sat in the time out corner a few times. First, when I trimmed the neckline corner down… Read More Hand Sewn Petticoat Bodies/Bodice Work in Progress
After way too long here is part two of the manteo or petticoat (part 1 written in 2014 can be found here), to recap here is the layout suggestion I ended up using from Alecga. Since my fabric is 60 inches wide I did not need to piece the “B” section and was able to cut it… Read More Juan de Alcega Tailor’s Pattern Book: Manteo or a Skirt of Cloth Part 2 – Construction