I’ve made three English Fitted Gowns based on the Tudor Tailor’s pattern so far, and with each one I’ve tweaked how I’ve put them together. Issue one: Sleeve Dimples
From a recent Christie’s auction, Follower of Francesco Salviati del Rossi Portrait of a Lady.
Here is a run down of all the layers. Cotton/linen smock: Machine sewn with hand finished seams and hems. Cuffs: Machine “blackwork” with silk thread, hand hemmed, they lace on to the smock cuffs with fingerloop braid so I can change them out as needed and wash them separately. Rust red petticoat: Same one I… Read More Green Tudor/Henrician Gown Finished!
I ran across this a few weeks ago, a gallery in NYC is showing the Froud’s work. Including sketches from The Good and Bad Fairy Book, Dark Crystal, a few things I don’t recognize and of course Labyrinth. I am not located in NYC, nor am I heading up there any time soon. So I’m quite happy… Read More Brian Froud’s Costume Sketches from Labyrinth
I’m plotting a Labyrinth ball gown costume and took a few screen caps to use as references. Some of the skirts seem to have net petticoats underneath, others none at all. The bodices on the gowns vary from princess seamed to fitted panels with draped layers. Shot silk looked like the main fabric, along with… Read More Labyrinth Costume Research
Working on the sleeves a bit more, I’m getting close!
Another project off my list. I worked on this off and on for several months. A majority of the construction was done over the course of a week. The actual finishing like the eyelets and binding and the busk took far longer then sewing the boning channels. Two layers of cotton duck with the outer… Read More A Pair of Bodies: Finished