A month ago a Facebook post on Elizabethan Costume showed me some inexpensive* shoes (non-affiliated link) that looked very similar to cutwork shoes found in period. The price was right, but they came in only one color: white. I ordered 2 pairs, not seeing the FB thread till much later about sizing up (and again if you… Read More 16th Century Shoe Hack: Painting Shoes
16th-Century Handsewn Silk Sleeves This week I finished the silk sleeves, yay! The last few steps ended up being very fiddly, as I needed to change the curve of the underarm section of the armscye and take it in by an inch. The last few steps ended up being very fiddly. I needed to change… Read More WiR: Hand Sewn Silk Sleeves Done!
The main project this week was revising my 16th-century sleeve pattern and making up a pair of test sleeves. I was not happy with how my sleeves turned out in the caramel wool petticoat bodies. Some of that was from how thin and lightweight the fabric was, and some of it was from the pattern… Read More WiR: A Pair of 16th Century Silk Damask Sleeves
This week I unearthed some unfinished projects while “Cleaning” aka where did I put my photo box? How could it have vanished? I’ve looked in that box three times now and I’m running out of places it could be. That is the problem when I clean, I put things in a safe place and never find… Read More Hand Sewn Red Linen Hose
Based on a few different museum pieces I did a mock-up/prototype for a 16th-century pocket. These were worn under skirts, much like their 18th-century descendants. This is version 1, which I made a little roomier for our modern day needs. It will fit a phone, money and other often necessary items. It is all… Read More 16th Century Pocket Prototype
I’ve had the petticoat bodies done for a few weeks now and completely forgot to post the finished photos here. Opps. In my defense I haven’t been able to get photos of me in them yet, part of me wants to go out and rent a chicken (can one rent a sweet-tempered chicken for photos?)… Read More Petticoat Bodies Done!
The holidays are over, I’ve eaten my own weight in cookies and it is time to finish up the petticoat bodies. Last time I posted I finished the bodice and put in the lining. Over the holidays I cut out the skirt, hand sewed it together, and bound the hem. My camera did not like… Read More Finishing up the Petticoat Bodies
I forgot to post these, I’ve slowly been sewing away on petticoat bodies from caramel colored wool. Linen/cotton canvas interlining, linen/cotton lining. Sewn with the broken backstitch, running stitch and whip stitch in linen thread. The project has sat in the time out corner a few times. First, when I trimmed the neckline corner down… Read More Hand Sewn Petticoat Bodies/Bodice Work in Progress